Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 12...

Another day in the books and I noticed something new last night as I was strolling through Target after dinner - as I was picking up some lunch box items for Adam I found myself instinctively reading the ingredients. It's not that I haven't always been somewhat mindful of what I'm feeding my son, but I've also had no problem buying fruit snacks and other fun treats for him without too much worry. While I know I have a long way to go in terms of getting Adam to eat a more varied diet (spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, seasonings, etc.) I am hopeful that this Whole30 experiment will teach me to better control the amount of sugar and overall "crap" that he gets. Last night's snack buying trip was success #1...gotta start somewhere. 

Breakfast: slice of frittata, half an avocado, half a grapefruit and black coffee. This was a new frittata, so it felt like something different. I used zucchini, red onion, brussel sprouts and mushrooms and this time I added some coconut milk to the eggs - wow, what a difference. The texture of the eggs was much fluffier and the touch of sweetness was a nice change. I don't see my breakfast menu changing anytime soon - aside from the eventual dropping of the grapefruit part. 


Lunch: arugula and spinach salad with a hard boiled egg, half an avocado, cucumber, dates, pomegranate seeds and a dijon balsamic dressing. I really went heavy on the greens this time, trying to get lots of spinach in during my lunch. 

Dessert: I replicated my dessert from day 11 - again in an effort to use of the fruit in the house before week 3 and also because it tastes so darn good! Chopped pear and apple with shredded coconut, juice of one lemon and nutmeg and cinnamon sprinkled on top (I ditched the macadamia nuts this time). 

Dinner: Chicken "sandwiches." We did open faced chicken sammies, as we like to call them, on portobello mushroom caps with sunshine sauce, avocado, onion and cucumber. Some baked sweet potato fries on the side made for a filling and delicious meal. We've yet to repeat a dinner since we started and yet we're finding lots of favorites that I know we'll continue to make even after day 30. 



Workout: I did my first Tabatta workout and loved it! I did 4 rounds - Round 1 I alternated between plank and mountain climbers - hello arms and core burning! Round 2 I alternated between plie squats and air squats - hello quads burning! Round 3 I alternated between sit ups and bicycle crunches - hello abs burning! Round 4 I alternated between alternating lunges and good mornings - hello everything burning at this point! Quick but effective workout - I look forward to doing more of these. 

18 more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment