Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 5...

Prep work seems to be the name of the game so with some pre-cooking of a spaghetti squash on Day 4 I knew our dinner for Day 5 was already halfway complete. That was a good feeling and we'll continue to work to keep in mind what we can do ahead of time to make meal prep that much easier. I have a feeling where people might find some pitfalls in their Whole30 would be in the lack of convenience. At the end of a long day it used to be easy to just call out for sushi, throw in a microwaveable bag of rice to go along with some chicken, etc. etc. Those aren't options here so I figure my best bet is to stay ahead of the game, have quick snacks and appetizers on hand so there's never a chance to feel like cheating. 

Breakfast - I enjoyed the last slice of frittata, half an avocado, and black coffee. I am not yet tired of frittata and actually made a plan in my head to whip up another one, this time with mushrooms, brussel sprouts, onions, zucchini and a little prosciutto. 



Lunch - Pretty much a repeat of yesterday's salad - spinach & arugula mix topped with a hard boiled egg, shaved sweet potatoes, two chopped dates, half an avocado, slivered almonds, and a squeeze of lemon with some garlic olive oil and a little balsamic on top. I made a mental note to roast some beets and eggplant to jazz up salads for the next few days. 

Appetizer - Andy had said he was hungry when he came home from work so I decided to make a little snack - sliced cucumbers topped with a little of the garlic aioli, smoked salmon, and capers. Light, refreshing, satisfying, and compliant. Score! 



Dinner - Spaghetti Pie! Woah, this was insanely good! We've definitely had spaghetti squash before, even during this challenge, but I've never used it in place of actual pasta and I was so surprised at how it really did feel/taste like we were having a normal spaghetti dinner. Wow. This recipe is a keeper. Here's the one we used. I altered it a bit by using ground turkey and we added mushrooms. I could see lots of variations - maybe even doing a "pasta primevera" version when the temps warm up a bit. 



Workout - I did a 50-40-30-20-10. This was intense. 50 air squats - 1 minute of jumping jacks - 40 sit ups - 1 minute high knees - 30 push-ups - 1 minute of jumping jacks - 20 lunges (on each side so 40 total) - 1 minute high knees - 10 burpees. Woah. It was all I could do to get through those 10 burpees. Ugh. 

25 more to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment